Registering multiple people for events [1810]

Last post 12-16-2009, 2:36 PM by Anonymous. 59 replies.
Sort Posts:
Page 1 of 3 (60 items)   1 2 3 Next >
  •  03-20-2008, 8:00 PM 6789

Registering multiple people for events [1810]

Current behavior:
    Every attendee has to be registered and paid for separately. This is inconvenient for people registering a group, for example several colleagues from the same company - or several family members.

Desired behavior:
    Ability to add additional registrations in the same session - and then process the single payment.
    Ideally, ability to specify for fields on the registration form which ones should be repeated for individual registrants (since many fields might be common and should only be filled out ones)
    Administrator should be able to view the name of each registrant - as well as to see them in groups they were processed in.
    Receipts should be sent to each registrant for his individual registration and a separate total receipt to the originating person.

Note:
    There is also a situation when individual names or additional registrants might not be required so it is instead desirable to enter number of registrants - and have system calculate the final price by multiplying it by per-ticket price. System should also display number of tickets purchased in the admin list of registrations and properly handle registration limits.
    Dmitry Buterin, Chief Apricot
  •  03-20-2008, 8:25 PM 5414 in reply to 6789

• WAUser is not online. Last active: 04-23-2014, 1:34 PM WAUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined about 7 years ago
    • Posts 2,074

Registering multiple people for events

I have tickets for sale on my site for an event...how can people say they want to purchase tickets and purchase 5 tickets instead of having to go through registration 5 times??? How do I set this up??
  •  03-20-2008, 9:32 PM 5415 in reply to 5414

Re: Qty Support???

Hi there,

The only way now to purchase multiple tickets is to go through registration 5 times.

Alternatively, you can setup an option on the form like '1 ticket $100, 2 tickets $200' and add fields for extra registrants but in this way this will show up as one registration in the attendee list.

We  do have it in our plans to implement a more streamlined handling of multiple ticket purchases.

•  06-01-2008, 2:23 PM 7437 in reply to 6789

• nettiet is not online. Last active: 02-26-2009, 10:46 AM nettiet
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined about 6 years ago
    • Posts 17

Quantity Ticket Option

Would also like to request the option to purchase multiple tickets.  An issue with them going thru registration 5 times is that the paypal security model may flag them as a scammer and not allow them to go thru - we've had it happen twice.  Then the user has to use a different credit card.  I'm not sure how the new on-line payment will work, but looking forward to it.

As far as the second alternative, the number of options that I would have to put in would be too numerous and too confusing (i.e. two different menu choices, member price and non member price, allow for sign ups of one, two, three or four people - so I would have to put in 16 ticket types to accomodate all alternatives.)

Currently, if a registrant calls or emails me with the question, I put in a one-time ticket type for them to register, then disable it after they register, or make them mail their payment.

So just want to weigh in on this option.

Thanks

•  06-15-2008, 8:36 PM 7906 in reply to 6789

• kimskim is not online. Last active: 04-23-2014, 2:54 PM kimskim
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined about 5 years ago
    • Maryland, USA
    • Posts 195

Re: Registering multiple people for events

Dmitry, this would be great.  I can see both situations that you mention occurring in our organization.
  •  07-22-2008, 12:33 AM 8776 in reply to 5415

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Maryland, USA
    • Posts 195

Chief_Apricot:

We  do have it in our plans to implement a more streamlined handling of multiple ticket purchases.

Do you have a timeline yet for handling multiple registrations at one time?  I'm getting a lot of pressure from our Social Chairman to find a way for members to register 5 people (a family) for an event, make one payment for all 5, and have the total registrations increased by 5 (not one) so that the headcount is right.  It's a big deal for us as most of our events are this way.

•  07-22-2008, 7:23 AM 8777 in reply to 8776

To implement this exact enhancement is a big overhaul of event registration area - and we can not even touch it now as it is being changed for other reasons (payments, invoicing etc.) We will keep thinking of workarounds but for now I cannot commit to a timeline, sorry.

•  08-29-2008, 4:31 PM 9403 in reply to 6789

Yes please, this is very important for us, especially now we have implemented online payment as it is difficult to get the right amount calculated for a party of attendees.
  •  09-01-2008, 2:43 PM 9426 in reply to 6789

• Chip is not online. Last active: 11-06-2008, 1:49 PM Chip
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Left Coast
    • Posts 5

Most nonprofits have events with non-members and members with appendages.  This would be very useful and save a lot of time.
  •  09-02-2008, 6:46 AM 9435 in reply to 6789

I'll add my vote to giving this priority.
  •  10-14-2008, 2:52 PM 9920 in reply to 6789

Yes, please, please, PLEASE make this a feature! We run classes and large events and people often want to buy more than one "space" at a time. They don't like to have to enter their credit card information over and over again, Paypal doesn't like them to do it too many times either, and it messes up Wild Apricot's own "Limit Number of Attendees" feature if people are given the option in the registration form to buy more than one ticket because it still only deducts one from the total number of attendees no matter what number of tickets are purchased on a single registration form.

It's difficult to keep track of it all the way it is currently organized. I would imagine this would be a problem for lots of organizations, and I can honestly say that this program would be PERFECT for us were it not for this seemingly small (yet not!) issue.

•  12-17-2008, 2:46 AM 10632 in reply to 6789

• sabobird is not online. Last active: 04-18-2014, 12:43 PM sabobird
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 33

I weighed in on this shortly after signing up, but now that we've been using WA for a few months we've accumulated some negative feedback from users about having to repeat all the steps for multi-person registrations. I've even heard that a credit card used on the first registration was rejected for the second (maybe that's a PayPal problem?).

We've had members who wanted to register for themselves plus one or more non-members and pay the appropriate fees for each, so it would be nice for member/non-member options to be displayed when a member is registering.

•  01-09-2009, 5:03 PM 10850 in reply to 6789

I'd like to put in my vote for added WA functionality to allow registrants to register multiple people (such as family members) in a single transaction.  When we were running our programs last summer we had a lot of feedback from folks indicating they would like to pay for their group with a single credit card payment.  We may have actually lost some potential participants because they thought it too much trouble to go through the registration process again and again for each person in their party.  I understand you are thinking about adding this enhancement at some point.  Any idea when you can fit this in?

Thanks,

Scott

•  01-18-2009, 6:18 PM 10940 in reply to 6789

• kprince is not online. Last active: 04-23-2014, 8:13 AM kprince
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • San Juan Capistrano, CA
    • Posts 15

I'd like to see this too!  For our school field trips, often multiple students from the same family are attending (at $15 each, for example).

•  01-20-2009, 10:56 AM 10958 in reply to 6789

• U3AGeoff is not online. Last active: 04-23-2014, 5:04 AM U3AGeoff
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined about 6 years ago
    • Posts 8

I can add my vote for this. My requirements are very simple - I just need the ability for 1 registrant to register and pay for a number of people without the need to know who the individuals are. Just the addition of a simple multiplier field would do. Currently I add radio buttons with extra cost to obtain a work around but this is not ideal.
  •  01-20-2009, 11:33 AM 10961 in reply to 10958

Hi Geoff, thanks a lot for your note - we have been considering this approach as it is much easier to implement and your comment validates our plans.

•  02-10-2009, 1:05 PM 11207 in reply to 10961

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Maryland, USA
    • Posts 195

A simple multiplier works for us too as long as the member can choose to pay for something like: 

2 adults @ $10 each

AND

3 children @ $7 each

in one transaction.  Especially since Paypal charges a per-transaction fee.  Fewer transactions are better all around.

•  02-12-2009, 6:04 PM 11249 in reply to 11207

• Liz is not online. Last active: 04-22-2014, 9:18 PM Liz
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined about 7 years ago
    • Posts 19

A simple multiplier is a good work around.  If info (such as names for badges) is needed for all registrants, then a text field could be added to the form to request the names.  It would require manual effort to use the info in the text field.

This doesn't solve the problem originally discussed which is a simple registration for free events (or the ability to default a group of members as "attending" with action only if "declining".

•  02-18-2009, 3:31 PM 11311 in reply to 11249

• Anonymous

Re: Registering multiple people for events - (1810)

After discussing this with our team and based on your input, here is the first stage of the system that we are considering implementing:

- Add a system field to the event registration form: Number of registrants.
    - The default value would be 1, but the applicant could enter any number they wanted. For this example, let's say 5.
    - The additional names or any other information will NOT be collected . So basically it will be a registration for John Doe but it will be counted and displayed as 5 people, instead of 1.

•  03-03-2009, 2:44 PM 11500 in reply to 11311

• kenlt is not online. Last active: 12-09-2010, 11:26 PM kenlt
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 1

I'd like to throw my support in on this, too. We need that functionality, and one name per order works for us.

Thanks

Ken

•  03-11-2009, 3:14 PM 11608 in reply to 11311

• panmalv is not online. Last active: 03-11-2009, 3:19 PM panmalv
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 1

That first-stage improvement would be great for us as described.  We have no need to keep track of the names of the guests.

Our group has frequent social events, and members typically bring a spouse or guest. For online registration, have been forced to make members register twice -- once for themselves, once for their guest -- so that the attendee count will be correct. This causes much confusion. Is there a better way? I wish there was a "member plus guest" registration type that would add 2 to the attendee count -- sounds like the proposed improvement is just the ticket. 

Please put in my vote for this improvement!

•  03-15-2009, 12:17 AM 11647 in reply to 11311

• sabobird is not online. Last active: 04-18-2014, 12:43 PM sabobird
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 33

This would work for us, too, and could save us up to $100 a year on PayPal transaction fees. I looked at dealing with multi-person registrations by adding separate registration types or registration form options boxes, but that would risk overbooking (we're managing dozens of events with limits of 10-12 participants each).
  •  03-25-2009, 5:05 PM 11772 in reply to 6789

• Gpetron is not online. Last active: 01-29-2010, 1:42 AM Gpetron
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4

Re: Registering multiple people for events [1810]

Please accept this message as a vote for this functionality.

Thank you,

Gloria

•  03-26-2009, 3:18 PM 11776 in reply to 6789

• parked is not online. Last active: 10-19-2009, 7:53 AM parked
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 2

Dimitry, would like to add a vote for this functionality, even incremental change would be valued.
  •  03-26-2009, 3:28 PM 11777 in reply to 11776

Noted. We have not made any progress on this because full-blow implementation is a lot of work - and we have so much other stuff we are dealing with. But it does sound that simple first step described above will help people so we will proceed to analyzing and planning it.

Page 1 of 3 (60 items)   1 2 3 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML

Sales & Support: (Toll-free) +1 (877) 493-6090 All other inquires: +1 (416) 410-4059
Wild Apricot Inc. 144 Front Street West, Suite 725, Toronto, Ontario M5J 2L7, Canada